Taronga Zoo – SydneyPosted: February 18, 2011
Five years before Sydney’s Taronga Zoo opened on 7 October 1916, plans were in full swing to prepare the site and move animals from Moore Park to their new home in Ashton Park. (Sydney Morning Herald – 10 Nov 1911)
At its inauguration ceremony (SMH 15 October 1912) the zoo park was named. “It was to be called the Taronga, an aboriginal name which […] mean(s) “beautiful sea view”.
The opening date of 7 October 1916 was announced and special arrangements put in place to help publicise the zoo’s new location.
J Little’s photographs – A Visit to Sydney Zoo – albeit a little difficult to discern, give some feel of the zoo in operation in 1920.
The Queenslander : 14 February 1920.